Saturday, May 21, 2011

Review: The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
Author: Kody Keplinger
Published: September 7, 2010
Rating: Five Stars!

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
Goodreads.com description
So this is my first review off of Goodreads, so I'm still trying to figure out how to use this so cut me a little slack, please! First off I have to say that I LOVE this book. And I don't read many non-fantasy books, but I couldn't put this one down.
 

My romance loving side has to say that Bianca & Wesley's relationship is the cutest thing ever! Wesley is a "womanizing man whore," I believe Bianca calls him, (she even uses Britney Spears' song "Womanizer" as Wesley's ringtone) and yet Keplinger still makes him lovable. 

I'm someone who reads--and writes--for the characters. If the characters aren't right, odds are, I won't like it, and Keplinger's characters are so real I feel like I'm going to bump into Bianca or Wesley at school on Monday. And feeling like I know Bianca like Keplinger let me, I got to go through all the emotions Bianca went through. And even though I'm not anything like Bianca--I'm not very cynical, or pessimistic (I think. .)--but it was incredibly easy to put myself into Bianca's shoes and empathize with her. Maybe that does mean I'm like the character, but I think it's Keplinger's amazing writing to blame. 

With all this said, I would recommend this to all teenage girls (or girls who are still teenage at heart) that are mature enough for some sexual content.

Now, because I love music so much and at least one song sticks with every book I read, here's the theme songs that I couldn't stop listening to as I read this book.  

Theme Songs: 
(First Half) "Need You Now" -- Lady Antebellum (the booty call song!)
(Second Half) "That's The Way I Loved You" -- Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment